Thursday, May 8, 2008

Down Time

Basically, there comes a time when even the World’s Greatest Biologist needs a break from the daily grind of delegating research tasks to the mindless minions that “work” for me. I make it a point to give my brilliant mind a rest for 5 minutes every 30 minutes during the work day and 7 minutes every 20 minutes if there is a constant stream of delegation lasting more than 3 hours which then constitutes a necessity for a 4 hour siesta approximately 3hours 10 minutes into the day, after which, as you may or may not know, I then use the aforementioned 20 minute rule but only if there is still light out and I am not on the phone with my Sun-goddess whom I would die for. I do not understand why my technicians fail to comprehend and integrate my schedule into their tiny noggins. How hard is it? I realize that the messages being generated by my superior intellect can sometimes become convoluted in the minds of those lesser individuals that do not have the wherewithal to comprehend my greatness, but I cannot help it if they are unable to understand my magnificence. It’s their loss.
So, basically, you can now understand my need for some down time. This week, after Jorge’s accident, an interrupted siesta, and an intolerable migraine caused by a heinous splinter in my right smallest finger I decided that I had been in the field too long and needed some time away. Therefore, I packed a week’s worth of field work into 2 hours and gave to my new technician, Rogelio, the honor of caring for my beloved pet bunny, Magnum, so that I can join my Sun-goddess, whom I would die for, in a romantic week (or four) long retreat to somewhere titillating (we haven’t decided where yet).
To assist Rogelio in the care of the aforementioned bunny, Magnum, I left a detailed protocol which includes directions on what to do should anything go awry during my much deserved and needed down time. I stressed in the protocol the absolute unswerving rule of supplying Magnum’s bowl with filtered water and listed the times and duration Rogelio should dangle toys in front of her so that she would get her daily exercise. Basically, Magnum has a sensitive system and any other type of water is simply unacceptable to her. In addition, I stressed to Rogelio that should the aforementioned exercise periods fail to occur and Magnum gains weight, I would fire him from the HEWO project for failure to comply with protocols. Because, basically, failure to follow a simple thing like a bunny protocol means, in short, that he would hinder my quest to save the planet.

No comments: